4 Key Insights from Our Dark Social Webinar
Today we had our Dark Social webinar. Brewster Stanislaw, Director of Product at Simply Measured, covered:
- The growing impact Dark Social has on social marketers
- How you can measure Dark Social
- Predictions for the future of social attribution
I personally thought that the Q&A session was just as powerful as Brewster’s deck, and I encourage you to fast-forward to the end of the webinar recording below if your time is limited. There is so much value there.
My top four insights from the webinar were:
- Now over 80% of social shares come from Dark Social. That’s up from 70% upon last glance. Expect this estimate to continue growing as people turn to private platforms like text messaging and Slack to share information and preferences with friends and colleagues.
- Dark Social is not just dark — it’s deeper. Dark social shares are lower in the marketing funnel, since people share links with those close to them when they’re already considering a product or service.
- Career development is suffering for social marketers. That’s because they haven’t found a way to own this piece of the puzzle by setting up attribution systems.
- The technical component of attribution is confusing. We got a ton of questions in our Q&A about how exactly to add hash fragments, and what user agent analysis is, and…oh boy, social marketers are intensely interested, and seriously overwhelmed.
Be sure to watch the presentation above, and take the first steps towards setting up a social media attribution program in your own organization by downloading the Quick Guide to Social Media Attribution Models below.