5 Ways to Become a Better Social Marketer Today
You have long-term goals and strategies to make yourself and your brand better on social, but if you’re looking for ways to become a better social marketer right now, check out these five resources for social marketing self-improvement.
1 – Run a Quickie Audit
First, run a quick audit of your social properties. DO IT NOW. GET TO THE CHOPPER. A good audit will help you:
- Discover what people are saying about your brand or your industry for reputation management
- Manage your marketing strategy
- Identify areas where you can streamline your process
- Gain insight into the real ROI of social campaigns
- Improve long-term planning and product launches
An audit will also give your brand a competitive edge by helping you better understand your customers’ wants and needs.
It doesn’t have to take that much time, either. Here’s the five-step process to run a social audit right now:
- Pick 1-3 social networks that matter to your brand most
- Pick the three metrics which matter to you most on each network
- Look at how these three metrics for each network have changed from this time period (campaign, month, quarter — whichever time period is most relevant) to last time period
4. Drill down into the particular owned and earned content that drove this change to understand what you can replicate and what you need to cut
5. Look at the specific feedback you’ve received over this time period in two categories: most engaged-with comments, and comments from your top influencers
You might want to dive deeper on one or more of these steps as you go along, but you shouldn’t need to do more than this for a quickie audit.
2 – View a Competitive Snapshot
Get a high-level view of your brand side-by-side with top competitors.
This will alert you to any big wins (or failures, or lags) your competitors are experiencing, and show you where you need to turn your attention to.
3 – Get Your Reading On
Get better at social right now by knowing what the rest of your ecosystem is passionate about and strategizing around. Get caught up on emerging networks like Snapchat. Check out Q&A’s with the CMO’s of your favorite brands. Some resources worth reading (besides this blog, of course):
- Social Media Today – For news and tips on social strategy
- Social Times – For the latest developments and brand news
- LinkedIn – For what major professional and industry influencers are interested in and talking about
- Social Network Blogs – If you want to know which new developments are happening on social networks, go straight to the horse’s mouth. Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter all have blogs where they annouce their latest roll-outs.
4 – Sign Up for the Right Newsletters
What better way to stay informed than by having the information sent straight to you? Get daily and/or weekly information and reminders about what is going on in social marketing. Sign up for these newsletters:
- SocialMedia.Org: The Big List is the official newsletter of SocialMedia.org, the community for social media leaders at the world’s greatest brands.
- Social Media Examiner: Get original Social Media Examiner content sent straight to your email inbox.
- Simply Measured’s Newsletter: What you can actually do with all you’re learning, using an analytics-based approach.
5 – Think Like Your Customer
Here is your improv lesson for today. Take all that you’ve learned from the steps outlined above, and put yourself in the brain of both your current and ideal customers.
Use your marketing personas as a foundation, and put together a list: a brainstormed list of all the different types of social content this current and/or ideal customer would be likely to interact with and appreciate.
Then, get to creating — better for it.