Mercedes-Benz has been active on Instagram for a little over two years, and posted a whopping 2110 photos and videos – far more than any other brand in our Insta. During that time, the company has racked up:
- Over 779,059 followers
- An average of 21,318 engagements on each post
This means that Mercedes-Benz averages 57.8 engagements (like and comments) for every one of their 779,059 fans over the past two years.
Yes, Mercedes-Benz is one of the most well-known luxury brands in the world. Yes, people go nuts over their cars and new releases. But how is Mercedes-Benz leveraging the popularity of its brand to foster such a thriving community on Instagram? What lessons can your brand learn? Drive down this road to find out.
Partnering With Blogs, Hashtagging Smart + Asking Questions
This is Mercedes-Benz’s most engaged-with post so far. It boasts 61,705 Likes and 1,072 Comments. It connects with fans by hashtagging smart, using the #mbfanphoto hashtag that unites Mercedes-Benz fans/photo-takers across Instagram, an incredibly smart move since this capitalizes on an already-existing hashtag and vibrant Mercedes-loving community instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
This post also partners with @bigblogg, the Instagram presence of a popular car blog, drawing those fans towards the post and reminding them that Mercedes-Benz is alive and well on Instagram, and that their cars are awesome.
Finally, this post excels by asking a question that forces a little more engagement than just your standard “Like,” playing off people’s love for Would you rather… games, and showing off the breadth of Mercedes-Benz’s product line by spotlighting two very different vehicles at once.
Hashtag Discoverability Points
This post boasts 57,700 Likes and 335 comments. The strategy I’d like to call out here is the discoverability created by using so many different hashtags. This is important because, when an Instagram user is scrolling through photos under #roadtrip or #chicago, they’ll see this image pop out, hopefully becoming new followers or at least “Liking” what they see.
This strategy (among the others mentioned here) seems to be working, since Mercedes-Benz’s follower count has been on a strictly upward trajectory since its earliest days.
Reaching Out for Love
Mercedes-Benz is a company that people feel very passionately about and are happy to show social media love for, as proven by this post which is the third-most engaged-with Mercedes-Benz Instagram post of all time. It doesn’t do much – it just asks people to “Like” it. That’s it. And people do – they even tag their friends to shine light on the post (and drive a lot more followers towards Mercedes-Benz, too). As user wer_ner is happy to note in the comments, “Every normal person loves Mercedes!”
Mercedes-Benz has a lot to work with in the visually appealing category. Frequent posts showcasing their cars’ stunning interiors are always winners and big engagement-drivers.
The Latest & Greatest
Mercedes-Benz loves to spread the word about its latest products on Instagram, savvily generating buzz on a visually-focused social network.
Wrap-Up / What You Should Try
1. Don’t reinvent the wheel. If your brand already has devotees on a social network but is just beginning to focus its own efforts there, take notice of what’s going on around the hashtags relevant to your brand and work from there. For instance, on Instagram, you could run an Instagram Hashtag Report on your own hashtag or a Conversation Driver Analysis around any keyword to figure out what’s being said around your brand and how you should move forward.
2. Partner with thought leaders in your community. You might be putting out killer products and/or content, but it’s the reviewers and bloggers who are approving or disapproving of what you’re shilling – and either driving business towards you or away from you. Make sure you’re taking an active role in partnering with them, shouting them out, and even lightening your own load by promoting their content about your product.
3. Ask questions. Get folks more involved in the conversation than simply “Liking” your posts by asking questions that prompt visceral responses or choices.
4. Hashtag, hashtag, hashtag. Especially on Instagram, don’t be afraid to hashtag your heart out. It’s a great way for new people to find you.
5. Interactivity wins. Mercedes-Benz’s “I love Mercedes-Benz” post was so successful partly because of its interactive component – it featured a call-to-action that spoke to the target audience.
6. Make it look good. Instagram is an intensely visual network. By putting up eye-hugging content, you can get people to spend some time with your brand who might never have done so before.
7. What’s new? Consider choosing Instagram as the network to publicize new product launches on. This will drive more followers to your brand because they won’t want to miss a hot new market development.
Wanna track your upgraded engagement strategy? Then upgrade with us. Click below for a free 14-day trial sure to knock your socks off and help you develop tighter social strategy than ever before.
Request a trial