Yesterday, Twitter finally completed the roll-out to their “new” web application. I use the word new loosely because they began rolling out almost a year ago, but only completely deprecated the old Twitter yesterday. Initially, many prominent tweeters complained about this change. As the roll-out was finally forced on the laggards yesterday, complaints were at a minimum. We compiled a few interesting stats from our monitoring of the stream yesterday.
New Twitter Stats:
— Of the likely ~200M+ Tweets yesterday, less than ~0.003% of them were complaints about the #newtwitter. The Twitterverse seems to have accepted this change.
— The majority (54%) of tweets about #newtwitter came from outside the US. Brazil was the 2nd most active with 13%.
— There was a spike in tweeting between noon and 2pm PDT: Twitter said that the rollout was complete at ~12:30pm PDT.
— Of the ~6,989 tweets, “hate” appears in roughly 13% of tweets. The remaining noise, albeit small, is still largely negative.
— By far the most active user was “@Stop_NewTwitter” – which is now a suspended account This handle accounted for a whopping 171 tweets yesterday (100% RTs) and 2% of the total volume.
— There were still a handful of influential Tweeters airing out their frustration. Top 5 tweets by Klout score collectively have a reach of only ~850,000. Here’s what they had to say…
* @TreatWomenRightYeah (Klout = 89) “Im really starting not to care about twitter anymore . they switched me to this #newtwitter crap o_o how do u work this”
* @Rene (Klout = 88) “Twitter switched me to the #NewTwitter and it completely sucks. I hate it. It reminds me of MySpace all over again…”
* @VodkaTonight (Klout = 84) “Meu twitter agora ta no #NewTwitter ODIEI” (Google translated this to: “My twitter now at # ta hated NewTwitter”)
* @BieberTweet (Klout = 83) “omg , Kelsi has #newtwitter oh no -.-”
* @TheDailyGemini (Klout = 82) “Newtwitter is annoying…I’m going to tweet on my phone later today. xo”