2017 Digital Marketing Trends: The “Questions We Didn’t Get to” Edition
2016 is coming to an end, and marketers are gearing up to attack 2017. In our recent webinar Year in Review, Year Ahead: Digital Marketing in 2017, Travis Bernard (Director of Audience Development @ TechCrunch), Kevin Shively (Head of MarComm @ Simply Measured), and Lucy Hitz (Content Marketing Manager @ Simply Measured), discussed:
- The dying trends of 2016 and emerging trends of 2017
- What major brands are using as social media objectives and KPIs
- Why brands are moving past engagement and measuring business outcomes
- What is on the horizon for social and digital marketing in 2017
We did so much talking, we didn’t have time for a Q&A. But, never fear! I sifted through your questions and have the answers right here.
How Can We Best Measure Our ROI on Instagram?
- First thing’s first: set specific numeric goals around web traffic and business revenue, so you know what you’re driving towards
- Build a benchmarking schedule so you consistently know how you stack up against previous performance and competitors’ performance as you grow your Instagram presence
- Make sure you are using trackable links in your Instagram profile so you know whether your Instagram content is generating the demand you are looking for
- Experiment with the latest features, like Instagram Stories and Instagram Live, to encourage deeper, multi-dimensional engagement with your brand. Set goals around these, too, like number of viewers and comments, so you can measure your ROI on a regular basis
- Invest in a Social Attribution software solution to tie Instagram activity (earned and owned) to actual dollars coming into your business
Is Instagram as Internationally Used as Facebook?
More than 80% of Instagram’s 300 million daily active users come from outside the U.S. (That’s 240,000,000 daily active users from outside the U.S.) Approximately 84.9% of Facebook’s 1.18 billion daily active users are outside the U.S. and Canada. (That’s 1,001,820,000 daily active users from outside the U.S. and Canada.
TechCrunch: What Kind of Scenarios Can Your Program Bots Handle?
There are a ton of good examples of different use cases on Chatfuel’s website (that’s who we used to build our bot), but pretty much anything that you could ask for in a search engine would work as a bot. Ours connects to RSS feeds and our site search to pull in data. It needs a database to pull in data, similar to how an AI assistant like Siri works. Bots can also facilitate payments and e-commerce.
How Should SMALL Orgs with a SMALL Staff Prioritize Live Video?
Small orgs should vet options and test them the same way a large org would. Live video isn’t a high barrier to entry, so it shouldn’t be viewed as ‘too much’ for a small company. Look, live video is just a new type of content. Don’t forget that. It should fit within your marketing strategy as it serves your business needs. What are you trying to do? Get people to learn about a problem, get them to buy a product, get them to stay engaged so they continue to buy, etc. Whatever it is, your strategy should role up to that. A lot of times, live video might be a way to do that. We’re a B2B software company, so Facebook Live may not seem idea, but we do a lot of educational content…FB live has proven to be a great way to deliver that to our audience in an interesting and organic way…And with ZERO editing requirements!
Do You Think Instagram’s Demographics Will Change and Instagram Will Become More Important to Businesses that Target an Older Generation?
I think if it’s not now, you’re missing an opportunity. That demographic is there. My grandmother watches my Instagram Story and responds via DM, so if an 85-year-old is there, you’d better believe 35-45-year-olds are. This is a demographic with buying power, and as Instagram enables better targeting with Facebook’s connected data, your ability to reach people based on demographic and behavioral data is only going to increase in 2017.
Will Posting at Optimal Times of Day Still Be Important in 2017?
Posting at the right time will always be important, and validating your timing should be a regular part of your workflow, but algorithmic feeds make that trickier because there are more factors that come into play for surfacing content. Make sure you know when your audience is most likely to interact with your content, but don’t make that your primary focus.
What Do You Think About Social Media Influencers? Do Their Follower Demographics Actually Act and Purchase These Products We Are Selling?
Today’s social users don’t want information–they crave stories and experiences, and they want those stories and experiences to feel authentic. They don’t want to be sold something that has a “Buy Me” sticker on it–they want previews or exposure to experiences that match needs they already have (see also: why re-targeting is such a successful sales tool). Some stats for you:
In short: YES.
Should Brands Invest in Instagram Ads or Save Up to Spend on Snapchat? They Now Have the Same Features, But We Don’t Have Lots of Budget for Both.
It’s less about the features, more about the audience you’re trying to reach, and what your goals are for your ads. In other words, ‘Who’s your customer and what do you want them to do?’ Will one network enable that in a way the other won’t? Answering that question could make the decision for you.
Want to catch the whole recording? Watch below.