3 Social Media Tactics to Maximize Holiday Sales
The holiday season serves up profit-boosting opportunities for businesses large and small. Social media is a key element to your holiday sales success. From tailoring your marketing message for your social followers, to delivering holiday themed deals, social media can maximize your holiday sales in a big way.
2017 Holiday Planning Guide for Social Marketers
With Black Friday and Cyber Monday behind us, there’s a holiday shopping gap to be filled before Christmas. Consumers are turning to social to find deals and promotions.
The National Retail Federation estimates that holiday sales in 2017 will increase up to 4% from last year.
A survey by Adobe Digital Insights found that 31 percent of consumers will do more online shopping this year than last. This makes social media a powerful resource, especially with the rise of mobile shopping and eCommerce.
How can you leverage social media this holiday season? Here are a few tips to maximize those holiday sales.
1. Make Data-Driven Holiday Marketing Decisions
To maximize your holiday sales via social media, you first need to understand your target audience.
By starting with the data, you ensure you are getting the best ROI from your holiday marketing budget. One way to increase your CTR and conversions is to target the interests, past social engagements, and preferences of your followers.
This lets you tailor your social media ads to specific buying groups, rather than launching broad-stroke ads that may not net the ready-to-purchase customers you want. After all, time is of the essence.
A few ways to find the data you need include:
- Social media analytics: Your business social media accounts have loads of data you can use. You can find insights into the posts people engage with the most, the creatives that had success, and the ad groups that performed the best.
- Listening: To get more in-depth demographics about your audience, listening is key. Listening can fundamentally shift your social media strategy, showing you what your target audience is organically talking about and responding to, and helping you retarget marketing messages in a personal, holiday season–themed way.
- Run test ads: You probably have some great holiday social media posts in mind, and you can use those to get key insights into your audience. The best part about social media ads is that they are scalable. Run a few test ads for a day and gather the data about the audience that engaged with them.
2. Get Visual to Maximize Holiday Sales
Those text posts with run-of-the mill images just won’t do anymore. Consumers want creative visuals that are personalized and engaging.
Video marketing on social media is one way to increase those holiday sales. In fact, a 2016 HubSpot survey found that 43 percent of consumers want more video content. Videos are said to be the future of content marketing.
Other visual holiday marketing tactics include:
- More creative graphics: Having a consistent and visually compelling graphic is important during the holiday season. Use free tools like Canva or Adobe Spark to create highly engaging images and infographics to increase your holiday sales.
— Sephora (@Sephora) December 12, 2017
- Use Facebook Live: Facebook Live videos are trending, and they are connecting online consumers to brands in a powerful way. You can have executives promote holiday deals via Facebook Live video ads, or highlight the holiday giving your company is doing.
3. Make Holiday Offers Special and Timely
The competition is fierce during the holidays, but if you serve up promotions and deals customers can’t resist, you will maximize holiday sales with ease. These deals can be offer codes, discounted pricing, or even free shipping on items without a minimum purchase.
Remember that data you compiled about your audience? This is especially useful when creating deals and discounts for your customers.
A few other holiday offer ideas include:
- Make shipping 100% free…and celebrate it: Free shipping is always music to online consumers’ ears, especially during the holidays. If you want to compete with Walmart, Target, and Amazon, free shipping during the holiday shopping season is a must.
A post shared by Shutterfly (@shutterfly) on
- Limited-time CTAs: The holiday season is a fast and furious shopping moment, and having a CTA with a sense of urgency can help you maximize holiday sales. Offer exclusive and time-based promotions and deals to push your customers down the buying funnel faster.
A post shared by ABLE (@livefashionable) on
- Hold a holiday contest: Everyone loves holiday gifts, and by holding a holiday-themed contest, you will increase engagement on social media and extend your brand reach. Offer a gift card as a prize, and be sure to highlight your products during the contest to keep those shopping carts full at checkout.
Happy 2. Advent, Kaptens! It's again time for another GIVEAWAY! 🎁⠀ Today two of you have the chance to win their favourite Kapten & Son Backpack. 🎒 To participate:⠀ ▪️ tag two friends, who need to participate too and follow @kaptenandson ⠀ ▪️ let us know your favourite backpack modell you'd like to receive⠀⠀⠀ The two winners will be announced on tuesday morning.⠀ For all terms and conditions check the link in our bio.📃 GOOD LUCK! 🍀 #giveaway #christmas #advent #kaptenandson #bekapten
A post shared by Kapten & Son (@kaptenandson) on
A well-planned holiday season social media marketing strategy will increase your brand awareness and boost sales in a big way. Think about what your customers are interested in, what they have engaged with in the past on social, and deliver timely festive deals to convert. How will you increase your holiday sales with social media?
Get everything you need to analyze the metrics that matter
2017 Holiday Planning Guide for Social MarketersDownload
Nick Rojas is a business consultant and journalist who lives in Chicago and his hometown Los Angeles with his wife. His work often discusses social media, marketing, and branding in regards to small and medium enterprises (SMEs).