How to Build a Better Brand on Social Media
2018 Social Marketing Budget Guide
Our webinar The 30-Day Social Marketing Transformation Plan asked social marketers to rethink their strategies, start at the very beginning (solid goal-setting and wise success metrics-choosing), and take the transformation process step-by-step, instead of trying to do it all at once. We want to make building a better brand on social manageable and achievable for every social marketer.
We even debuted the revised version of our social metrics map.
Here are the key takeaways you can use to build a better social media program for your brand.
1. Goals Go First
Maybe you’re thinking “duh,” but it’s important to take the time to set strong-yet-reasonable goals for your social program, based on past performance and overall business goals. I’m not talking about a to-do list or a simple continuation of the amorphous goals you’ve set in the past—I’m talking about Big Hairy Audacious Goals, using the SMART framework:
- Specific: Your goals should be as specific as possible. This will keep you and your team accountable—and more likely to succeed.
- Measurable: Measurement or it didn’t happen. Like, literally.
- Attainable: It’s good to set aggressive goals, but they shouldn’t be so aggressive that you have no hope of achieving them. That’s not a goal. That’s a pipe dream.
- Relevant: Are your goals relevant to your business goals and needs right now?
- Timely: Are your goals timebound? For instance, “We will increase Instagram engagement 30% by EOQ” versus “We will increase Instagram engagement 30%.”
Being intentional and data-driven in this phase sets you up for success throughout the year.
2. What’s Getting in Your Way?
What are the major roadblocks in between you and your goals? By determining this at the very beginning of your transformation process, you’ll be able to prioritize correctly.
Once you’ve isolated these challenges, identify solutions. Check out the entire Social Marketing Transformation Guide here.
3. Who Are You Marketing To?
One of the hottest topics during the webinar was around creating social buyer personas, and using these personas to inform your strategy.
Even if your marketing department already has buyer personas, you should be modifying and enhancing these personas based on what you find out from your research on social, which you can easily do with a listening solution.
This information is invaluable in crafting effective content for your target audience.
Check out the full webinar recording here:
Want the whole 30-day transformation plan? Download the guide below.
Get everything you need to analyze the metrics that matter
The 30-Day Social Marketing Transformation PlanDownload
I’m the Head of Marketing Communications here at Simply Measured, where I'm responsible for our content program, social media marketing, PR, and comarketing ventures. I love yoga, The X-Files, peaty scotch, hiking, and poetry. If I were a social media channel, I’d want to be Instagram, but I think I’m Twitter.