The Metrics Matrix, and Other Insights Your 2017 Marketing Plan Is Missing
Social media is a relatively new marketing channel, constantly changing and evolving. Whether you just started on social or have been in the game for awhile, our recent Your 2017 Social Marketing Plan: Essentials and Recommendations webinar outlined the most vital strategies that social marketers should incorporate in their 2017 plans, and provided actionable tips for moving forward.
The webinar covered how to:
- Analyze your 2016 social performance–and that of your competitors
- Dig deeper into conversations and audience insights to truly optimize your 2017 social plan
- Create or modify a successful 2017 social plan based on the latest social network developments and tools available
Here are a few of my favorite insights from the webinar.
The Metrics Matrix
Colin kicked off the webinar by discussing how you can use an analysis of your 2016 brand-driven social content to understand how to move forward.
What we are trying to figure out for brand-driven social content is:
- In 2016, what was successful in driving Awareness and Consideration of my brand?
- In 2016, what was successful in driving Intent and Decision? (Basically, did I get anyone to my brand’s website and did I compel any of them to become customers?)
Completing this simple matrix does a couple things:
- It jumpstarts the process of getting into your data. Especially when analyzing a large data set, such as an entire year, getting some aggregates helps you get comfortable with what you’re looking at and gets the left side of your brain working.
- It creates a basic scorecard. This will help you with your year-end reporting, at the end of 2017.
Join Hands with Your #DigitalFam
Getting impressions and engagement data shouldn’t be too hard.
But it’s not enough. You’ve got to be speaking the same language as everyone else in your marketing organization when it comes to metrics.
Every channel has its own metrics, but they all roll up to business outcomes. If you’re not mapping your social media results to business outcomes today, make that one of your initiatives for 2017.
Invest in Instagram
There is more incentive to invest in Instagram than ever before, as new products roll out, ad offerings increase, and targeting capabilities improve.
For the reasons delineated on this slide (and a few reasons only available on the talk track), you should be investing in Instagram in 2017.
Check out the full recording and slides below.
Get everything you need to analyze the metrics that matter
2017 Social Media Planning Template and ChecklistDownload
I’m the Head of Marketing Communications here at Simply Measured, where I’m responsible for our content program, social media marketing, PR, and comarketing ventures. I love yoga, The X-Files, peaty scotch, hiking, and poetry. If I were a social media channel, I’d want to be Instagram, but I think I’m Twitter.